Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Homemade Ricotta Cheese recipe

Homemade Ricotta Cheese!
I am amazed that, in my 33 years of life, I never knew how easy it was to make ricotta cheese.  A cheese I love so much I never bothered to learn the right way to pronounce it.  Who cares?  There's no telling what I'm saying with a mouthful of ricotta, anyway.

So I was flipping through a magazine and BAM, there it was.  A little chunk of Heaven on a page...how to make ricotta at home.  And it's super simple!  So being the benevolent person I am, I demanded that Joy grant me author access to her blog so that I could share it with her fine readers.  By the way, this is Jamie, Joy's twin sister.  Most people mistake us for each other anyway so call me whichever you'd like.  I'll just secretely hold a grudge.

Ingredients
  • Half gallon whole milk
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt (I really like things salty and added a bit extra)
  • 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
That's it for ingredients, I swear!  

Then for supplies you'll need:
  • Cheese cloth
  • Large pot
  • Strainer
  • Large bowl
  • Slotted spoon
hot milk
First thing's first, put all of the milk and kosher salt in the largest pot that you have and get it boiling. Don't do as I did and think your second largest pot is big enough. It's not. Get the bigger one. Milk likes to boil over and burnt milk does not smell good.

if you crisscross the cloth it'll look more beautiful
While that's boiling, line your strainer with 4 layers of cheese cloth. Then put the strainer on top of a large bowl, like so:
Put this over that and then this thing inside of this one.

lumpy milk
Once the milk has boiled, turn it down to a simmer and add the lemon juice.  Stir until lumps form, about 3-5 minutes.  Those lumps are golden bits of ricotta cheese that you are going to stuff into your mouth soon! 

don't make fun of my slotted spoon, I know I need an upgrade
Take a slotted spoon and scoop out all of those lumps and put onto the cheese cloth.  Let drain for 5 minutes.

you can eat it now
That's it!! You can eat it with a spoon (my preferred method), add it to a pasta dish, or refrigerate for up to 4 days.  YUM!!!  Did you know it was so easy?! Now you do!


Like the pottery featured? I got it from the peeps at Clay Coyote Pottery.  Like the red kitchen napkin?  So do I, it's mine.  But you can buy one of your own from 5 O'clock Crows.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoy you as my guest blogger. You're welcome back any time! Then I can think about taking naps and stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great!! I'll make another crumb cake, take pics, and post about that next! But first I need a nap.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a link to your own blog. Share the love! :)