Saturday, February 4, 2012

Someone seems to have a case of spring fever

I may or may not (definitely may) have spring fever. 
I miss my garden, the warm sun on my back, eating veggies and fruits fresh from my yard...
Here's a little photo collage of some of my past gardening fun:

Garlic is my very favorite thing to grow! We just planted about 40 cloves plus another 20 rounds and 100+  bulbils. I'm anxious to have enough garlic to get us through the winter and then-some. We eat a lot of garlic!

The first couple of years I grew tomatoes I probably grew eight plants or so. Then last year  I said, "I'm growing any this year! I'm taking a year off." Then I found a packet of seeds and figured "what the heck..." and grew 21 plants (plus I bought another three from the local nursery for good measure). Then last year I learned how to can so... I'm probably going to grow about 40 tomato plants this year so we have enough to get through until the next season! I just love making chili and sauce and salsa!

We are blessed to have some gorgeous apple and peach trees in our yard, too. The peach tree is the smallest, saddest fruit tree you've ever seen. It looks like a soft wind could knock it over. The first year we had a miniature peach grow. Just one! Then in 2010 we had a massive harvest of peaches! The photo above shows one of the three bowls full we harvested. Amazing. Then in 2011 we had none again. I was told by a local farmer that in Maine the peach trees rotate every other year on production. I guess we'll see what happens in 2012! In addition, we have strawberry plants that were transplanted from my friend's farm so her donkeys wouldn't eat the strawberries -- lucky us! We also have a gorgeous little nest (complete with glitter streamers) that robins lay eggs in just about every year.


Aaaah.... soon it will be time to head outdoors again for the happy harvests of spring!

AND... I ordered these crazy looking squash that I'm SUPER excited to grow and eat. They're called Yugoslavian Finger Fruit Squash:
View all of Kenyon Organic's heirloom seeds here.
Happy spring dreaming!




6 comments:

  1. I guess you do have it bad! Spring days were here today, EVERYONE was outside! But it will get cold and rainy again, soon--since this is the Pacific Northwest and we don't have webbed feet for nothing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been such a mild winter for us here in Maine. It's making my spring fever worse! :)

      Delete
  2. Holy moly, look at your gardening self!! I've never even thought of planting garlic, but you've definitely got me thinking about it now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh, by far it's the best to grow! I love it!

      Delete
    2. Your pictures are beautiful!!My daughter has become Farmer Sammi last summer. She definately could use some tips.

      Delete
  3. Thank you, Linda! I'm happy to help Sammi with some farming tips! Have her call or email anytime :)
    I'm about to start some seedlings off soon, too. I have some fun heirloom seeds that I'm eager to get started! Today's snowstorm doesn't exactly help the spring fever! HAa.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a link to your own blog. Share the love! :)